Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Oklahoma epiphanies

i am reserving this section for breakthroughs in the brainstorming of projects. I keep having ideas while I am on vacation in Oklahoma and forgetting them the next day.

So far I have considered applying the idea of a product that's folds create a constant change, or something that the uses is forced to interact with and through that interaction creates a different and eternally changing / evolving design. At the moment I am thinking of something physical that could be folded. Or possibly clear and plastic that could be viewed differently at each angle.

Another note, on the plane I read the infamous Tibor Kalman vs. Joe Duffy debates in Print Magazine from 1990. I thought it would provide more into the nostalgia issue of design, but really I felt that Kalman's argue against Duffy's use of nostalgia was extremely weak, as Duffy countered by showing Kalman's work, and its use that was quite obviously the same. They both use nostalgia to tell or be appealing in some fashion. Kalman felt he was educating, but really couldn't even substantiate his argument when asked questions by Duffy. So yeah, that gets me no where, but is at least one thing to check off as options.

This week I am focusing on architecture, which I feel is quite parallel, especially when speaking of preservation, restoration, reconstruction, and the viewpoints / schools of thought on the subjects.

I think it would be quite interesting too to look into current shows and gallery openings in NYC that use street art or urban art, showing decomposition.

Final thought, Klinkowstein says to check out Cage and his Buddhist influences on art and design.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home